Every day we have to have food for survival. Some of the foods we can take as raw form, and some others need to be cooked. You should definitely cook meals with a top-quality pot or pan. When you use the best quality cooking pot, it is like a pre-requirement for cooking tasty and healthy food. The Best Carbon Steel Wok is one of the best options for this purpose. It is excellent for sauteing, steaming, and cooking.
Yes, top quality carbon steel wok is the perfect choice for making healthy and tasty food. On the other hand, we can get many advantages of using carbon steel woks over other cooking pots. We think you should always choose the product which will give you more than the others. Let’s see what you’ll get from the carbon steel wok.
- 1 What is a Carbon Steel Wok?
- 2 Comparison of 5 Best Carbon Steel Woks
- 3 10 Best Carbon Steel Wok Reviews
- 3.1 Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok
- 3.2 Authentic Hand Hammered Wok, 14 Inch Carbon Steel Chinese Pow Wok
- 3.3 Timoneylove Pre-Seasoned Carbon Steel Pow Wok
- 3.4 16 Inches Carbon Steel Wok with Helper Handle (Flat Bottom)
- 3.5 Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok Set
- 3.6 Helen Chen’s Asian Kitchen Flat Bottom Wok
- 3.7 Timoney Carbon Steel Pow Wok
- 3.8 Mauviel Made In France M’Steel Black Steel Wok
- 3.9 ICON Carbon Steel Wok (14-inch) – Pre-Seasoned
- 3.10 Joyce Chen 22-0060, Pro Chef Flat Bottom Wok Uncoated Carbon Steel
- 3.11 Big 16 Inch Heavy Canton Style Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok
- 3.12 Town Food Service 18 Inch Steel Cantonese Style Wok
- 4 How to Choose the Best Carbon Steel Wok?
What is a Carbon Steel Wok?
Carbon steel wok is the updated, sleeker design cooking utensil of the cast-iron wok. Usually, it is concave and has a round or flat shape bottom. A mixture of carbon and steel is used to make the wok. These two metals ensure that the cooking will be quicker, the pan will be evenly heated, and the wok is very durable. The wok is not so heavy in weight, and it is easy to handle.
It was originated in China for the first time, and it had a round bottom then. That is why it couldn’t be used on electric stoves. It is now widely distributed, and it became a very popular cookware. Not only that, but a carbon steel flat bottom wok is also available now. So we can use it on a gas stove and an electric burner also.
Why You Should Use a Carbon Steel Wok?
An excellent question that is! When there are so many cooking pans & utensils on the market, why should you use the carbon steel wok? There are more benefits and advantages from the carbon steel wok over other cookware types. We advise using the best carbon steel pan and utensil for the following reasons.
- Extremely Safe: There are so many materials used to construct a wok. Almost all of them release toxic substances after they are overheated, but carbon and steel never produce any toxins even after highly heat up. That is why the carbon steel wok is safe for your health.
- Heat Distribution: Other materials such as stainless steel don’t heat up uniformly and quickly. That is why you never seem to cook food quickly when using them. The carbon steel woks heated up quickly to cook the food faster.
- Lightweight: Cast iron, stainless steel, and other similar materials are much heavier than carbon. The wok becomes heavier when mixing other materials than carbon and steel. That is why carbon steel woks are lighter than other cookware types.
- Durable: To ensure the durability a carbon steel wok is made to be fully resistant against chips and cracks. You should still take proper care of the wok; otherwise, it may be affected by rust.
- Cost-Effective: Money is always a big issue for people. You will always prefer the product if it is best in quality but comes with a low price, right? Just compare the carbon steel woks prices with the other cookware, it is really inexpensive and affordable for everyone.
Comparison of 5 Best Carbon Steel Woks
|Carbon Steel Wok||Craft Wok||Authentic Hand Hammered Wok||Timoneylove Pre-Seasoned Carbon Steel Pow Wok||16 Inches Carbon Steel Wok||Joyce Chen 22-0060|
|Weight||4.4 Pounds||3.3 Pounds||4.2 Pounds||4 Pounds||4.5 Pounds|
10 Best Carbon Steel Wok Reviews
Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok
This is a traditional-looking Chinese wok pan. The pan has a round bottom that has been hand-hammered by professionals that know everything that there is to know about woks. The wok is made of a 15-gauge carbon steel that is commercial grade quality.
The wok has two helper handles that can be used to hold on to the pan while you are busy cooking. The one handle is made from the same carbon steel, and the other is made of a sleek, smooth wood. The wood handles do not get hot when in use.
Make sure to pre-season this pan before using. This will keep your wok maintaining its high-quality material, and it will help your food to taste better and look better. There are instructions that come with the pan that will teach you how to season it.
This wok is on our list of the best carbon woks because this one it’s very durable, high quality, affordable, and used by many professionals around the world.
- The wok heats up quickly and evenly throughout the bottom of the pan.
- Very affordable budget-friendly price.
- Nice sleek design and handles.
- Hand-hammered by Chinese professionals to ensure you get the best quality.
- You cannot use this wok on an electric or induction type stovetop.
Authentic Hand Hammered Wok, 14 Inch Carbon Steel Chinese Pow Wok
This is another great option for an authentic Chinese style wok. This wok has been 100% hammered by hand to give it the highest quality possible. The surface of the wok is naturally non-stick even though it doesn’t use any chemicals on the surface.
This fourteen-inch wok is perfect to use in your own kitchen as well as a commercial-grade kitchen. This wok is beloved by many people that even professional chefs love this brand of wok to use in their kitchen.
The durable construction of the wok makes it easy to cook many different types of foods such as stir-fry’s, sautéed vegetables, fried rice, and much more. The surface is naturally non-stick and the price of this wok is extremely affordable.
- 100% hand-hammered by professional wok makers in Guangdong.
- Extra-long wooden handles that make the wok easy to carry.
- Naturally non-stick surface.
- Tradition style wok that is 14 inches.
- This set does not come with any accessories or lid.
This is another great option for the best carbon steel wok because it has a high-quality carbon steel as well as it is already pre-seasoned for you. If you are someone who has never used carbon still, it is important to know that it needs to be seasoned before using. This pan comes pre-seasons for you, so you don’t have to worry about it.
The coating of the pan is not made with any chemicals so you won’t have to worry about chemicals leaching into your food. The wok has been hand-hammered to deliver a 1.8mm thick wall that will help you cook perfect food.
Remember to always clean and dry your wok properly that way, no rust starts to form. If rust forms it means you need to clean the wok and re-season the pan. There are steps below that will show you how to season your wok properly.
The strong wood handle design is very durable and will not buckle or break even when you are using it to carry a big load of food. This wok is very well constructed and comes to you at a very affordable price.
- Pre-seasoned wok that way you can cook immediately.
- No chemical coatings are on the pan, so it allows you to eat healthier food.
- Easy maintenance with cleaning the wok.
- Strong hammered design and strong wooden handle.
- This wok cannot be used on an electric or induction cooktop due to the round bottom.
This is the USA made carbon steel wok. If you just want to get the best carbon steel pan, then you should choose this one because it is made of the highest quality of carbon and steel and made right here in the United States.
The manufacturer makes the wok with two handles. One handle is long, which is wooden made, and the other one is looped, which is also made with wood. The handles are attached on opposite sides from each other and can be used to move the wok easily, or just to hold the handles while you are cooking.
The bottom of the wok is made with a flat shape so that the wok can be placed electric or gas stovetops directly. The base is strong enough, heats up quickly and evenly. So, you can cook foods rapidly.
Like other woks, it also requires seasoning to prepare. It is also recommended to wash by the hand and needs to be dried before storing. Really, this can be the best option when you choose the best carbon steel wok.
- Long wooden handles offer to hold wok comfortably.
- No toxic coating ensures healthy cooking.
- Can be used directly on electric and gas stovetops as it has a flat bottom
- Heat distributed quickly and evenly.
- It is not recommended for glass top stoves.
Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok Set
This is a four-piece wok set that includes 14” carbon steel wok, nonstick dome lid, 12” bamboo spatula, and a recipe book. That means you get everything you need in this full set for a fabulous price.
The wok is narrow at the bottom and wide on the top. There are two handles that are attached to hold the wok while cooking. The wooden handles never become hot while cooking. The bamboo spatula also helps a lot when you need to budge the food.
Its narrow bottom helps to fry anything with less fat. Cooking with less oil means you are cooking healthier food. Similar to the other wok it is also needs seasoning before yo use the wok. It is also advised to these products by handwash only. So, try to avoid the dishwasher. This cooking wok can be used on gas and electric stoves. This is our pick for the best carbon steel wok.
- Heats up fast and distributes heat evenly.
- Requires less oil that is the sign of cooking healthy food.
- Suitable for both electric and gas stoves.
- A recipe book is supplied with the wok as well as a bamboo spatula, and a lid.
- The wok has a hard time withstanding super hot heat.
If you are looking for a top-quality carbon steel flat bottom wok, then this one can be your perfect choice. It comes with a domed lid, spatula, and a recipe book also. The wok is very easy to handle and comfortable to use.
Helen flat bottom wok is made of 1.6 mm carbon steel. This thickness is enough to provide strength, but it is a perfect weight. As I told before it is a flat bottom wok, so you can use the wok on electric, gas, or induction stoves.
Its diameter is 14” that means it is family-sized. If you have a big family, then this best carbon steel wok will work wonders when you are trying to cook a lot of food. You can handle the wok while cooking with comfort as it has two wooden handles that never heat up.
You can cook any food quickly with the carbon steel wok with a lid because the wok heats up quickly. It is also easy to clean after cooking as it has easy release property. Remember it needs seasoning like any wok.
- Easy clean up even after sticking of rice.
- Heat up quickly, and it also cools down fast.
- It comes with a spatula and a recipe book.
- It can be used on gas, electric, and induction stoves.
- It becomes rusty after a certain period.
This is 14” diameter carbon steel wok can easily be used in the family. It has a simple design and a round bottom. It is perfect for gas stoves, or you can use the wok on an open fire. Many professional chefs like the wok because of its simple design, heat distribution capacity, and the fact that it cooks healthy foods.
It is made of high-quality carbon and steel. They never release any toxins to the food. It’s cooking surface is smooth enough though no chemical coating is used. It is non-stick so, you can cook healthy food and can clean the wok with ease.
You should prepare the wok before use by seasoning. Don’t forget. After every use, you should clean the wok carefully. Dry the wok with a cotton cloth or microfiber cloth to make sure it is completely dry. Store in a dry cabinet.
- Heavy and strong.
- Ensures healthy cooking because the food doesn’t stick.
- Careful use can increase the service life.
- It doesn’t have any chemical coatings.
- Not compatible with electric stove.
Mauviel Made In France M’Steel Black Steel Wok
French cuisine is trendy and widely known all over the world. This manufacturer also has a good reputation as a kitchenware manufacturer. You can definitely buy this item to get a quality carbon steel wok if you can afford the price. Its price is a little bit high only because of the high quality.
This item is made with 1.2-1.3 mm carbon steel, which is very strong. Its flat bottom surface distributes the heat uniformly and heats up quickly. For this feature, it is possible to cook food quickly.
It is able to withstand excessive heat,which prevents the burning of food. You can also use this wok outdoors for a barbeque party. All the woks in this list are high quality, but this woks quality is exceptional than the others. That is why it is one of the best flat bottom woks of this list.
- It is made with only high-quality carbon steel.
- It can withstand high temperatures.
- Compatible with electric, gas, and induction stove.
- It is also suitable for a barbeque.
- A little bit expensive.
ICON Carbon Steel Wok (14-inch) – Pre-Seasoned
Are you searching a premium quality carbon steel wok? You don’t need to search anymore. If you can afford the price, you can get the highest quality wok. The carbon steel wok is made in the USA, and all of us have a belief that the USA always maintains the quality of its products.
You can use the wok on any stoves such as gas, electric, and even induction stoves. This is the first item in this list which comes with a pre-seasoned wok. A guide is also supplied with the wok for additional seasoning.
The item is dishwasher safe. So, don’t need to touch it to clean it. It is also oven and induction safe. It can be heated up to 800 degrees F. Do you expect anything more?
- It is ready to use as pre-seasoned.
- Safe for the dishwasher.
- This wok is oven safe up to 800 degrees.
- Suitable for all types of stoves,including induction stovetop.
- The item comes with a manual for additional seasoning and sunflower oil.
Joyce Chen 22-0060 promises to cook healthy food all the time. It also keeps your food flavor full. This item comes with a single piece. And you will indeed get a really quality product, but nothing else comes with it.
It is a flat bottom, top rounded wok. So you can use the wok on gas, or electric stovetops naturally. This is not a preseasoned wok, so before you use it, you will have to season it.
It has two handles in different shapes, one is long, and another one is a looped shape. Both handles remain cool while cooking so that you can hold them. When you press the handles, it makes it quite easy to mix the food while cooking. You can also store the wok in a hanging position with the help of looped handles.
The wok doesn’t have any toxic coating or any materials that could cause harm to your health. That is why it never releases any toxic substance after highly heated. After cooking, the cleaning process is so easy to do by handwashing.
- Suitable for electric and gas stove.
- Very cost-effective wok.
- It promises to cook healthy foods without releasing toxins.
- Heat up quickly.
- Handles become loose gradually.
Big 16 Inch Heavy Canton Style Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok
This is the perfect choice for a carbon steel wok for people who are seeking for a heavy and big wok. If you feel troubled to handle a heavy and big wok, this wok is not for you.
This is a hand-hammered carbon steel wok that is made by Chinese professionals. It has a traditional design, and it is made to be used on the open fire. It is rounded on both top and bottom. You can make any food using this wok such as deep-fries, Chinese dishes, smoked foods, steamed vegetables, and any other foods.
As like the other wok you should season it before use. You cannot use this wok on the electric stovetop because the bottom is not flat enough to heat up the entire wok on an electric stovetop. It is straightforward, but useful if you handle it properly.
- This is a big and heavy style of the wok.
- Long-lasting build and materials.
- Easy to use.
- The wok can be used on open fire source.
- It cannot be used on electric stovetops.
Town Food Service 18 Inch Steel Cantonese Style Wok
This 18” rounded wok is seen to be widely used in the Asian country. This type of wok is very popular because it has a simple design, but it is beneficial.
The size of this wok is not similar to the other woks. It is larger than the others, and its size is really perfect for cooking a big amount of food. That is why it is widely used in restaurants and big families.
It has two welded handles which are very strong. The possibility of the breakdown of the handles is near about zero. So, you can move the wok easily holding the handles while it is full of food. It is strong enough and cold-forged steel that is used to make the item giving it extra strength.
If you don’t need a big wok, it better to stay away from buying it. It will greatly help you if you need to cook a lot of food at one time for your family, party, or any other purposes.
- It is firm and sturdy but also still lightweight.
- Welded handles never break.
- Suitable for cooking many different types of food.
- Not suitable for electric stoves.
What do you expect from a cooking utensil or pot, surety for it to cook healthy food, easy to control, easy cleaning, durability, anything else? Maybe not. Just look at the features and output of a carbon steel wok. It can provide all of those great things if you can get the Best Carbon Steel Wok.
Some people complain about seasoning. They say it is very difficult. The process is actually really easy. You can always purchase one of the pre-seasoned woks we talked about above.